I’ve been invited to Singapore and Hong Kong next month to give some talks in both cities about ‘The Best of British Rail Travel’ to coincide with the publication on my new book ‘The Trains Now Departed: Sixteen Excursions into the Lost Delights of Britain’s Railways’. I’m drawing up a list of my faves.
Here’s my Top Five. Will welcome more suggestions!
1. ‘Deerstalker Express’ sleeper train – London to Fort William (pictured here)
2. The Looe Valley line – Liskeard to Looe in Cornwall
3. The Cumbria Coast line – Barrow to Carlisle
4. Docklands Light Railway – Tower Gateway to Greenwich
5. Leeds-Morecambe/Settle-Carlisle – dramatic railways in the Pennines